Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Let's Compete Series

I have a friend named Zak.  Zak has a channel on YouTube called TeddizGeneral.  On that channel, he tortures himself with some of the worst games in the world, and some of the greatest classics.  He's actually quite fun to watch and listen to as he plays.

While I lived in Florida, I was able to co-commentate on a few of this videos, namely Action52 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.  But when I moved back to California, I was no longer able to do that.  Or so I thought.

Last year sometime, we came up with the idea of doing this thing called Let's Compete, where we pick a single player game, set a few rules, and see who wins.  First we chose Megaman X, where we had to get all E-Tank, Heart-tanks, all armor upgrades and get the Hadoken before killing Sigma.  Second was a run of Thunder Force IV, with the win condition of who has the most lives at the end.  Third up, Sonic and Knuckles special stage run with who can get to the farthest level.  Fun times were had with all of them, even though the video for the only compete I won was 'lost'. ^.^

Recently, we did Outrun, and because I actually like doing this kind of thing, I told Zak that I would edit this one, mainly because I wanted to bring up the production value of the competition.

You can watch this series here.  The biggest change I wanted to make to the previous runs was the inclusion of an intro and outro, as well as finding perfect places to do video fades so there isn't an abrupt end to each video, as well as make a spot for annotations.  I'll continue to add to the intro and outro as we play more games and get more footage.

But it got me to thinking.  I really like playing random games against people, and it's kind of fun putting a bit of competition in there.  It's mainly for bragging rights.  And because of it, I kind of want to start a whole channel dedicated to that.  Two people playing the same game at the same time, and just talking to each other as we play.  On my channel, I'd get a new person each competition, and maybe someday I could get some YouTube celebrities to join in (maybe even some real celebrities).

Right now, I'd only be able to do emulated games via screen recording my computer, which works, but I would like to get something to record console games.  The only device I found that would work that ISN'T ridiculously expensive still costs $180, which is kind of high.

But alas, I'm still planning it.  Anyways, enjoy the Let's Compete series.

No comments:

Post a Comment